Warriors Honor Women
As the Family Violence Prevention Program worked to expand its services and prevention efforts, program staff recognized the increasing need to engage men in the efforts to end violence against women. In 2013, the FVPP reached out to male tribal members and employees to participate in a meeting strategizing how to engage men. This initial meeting was very productive and met with great enthusiasm and led to subsequent meetings. The “Engaging Men” movement became a more formalized group identified as “Warriors Honor Women”.
Warriors Honor Women Mission Statement:
Our mission is to be committed to end the cycle of domestic and sexual violence through leadership, prevention, and advocacy using our Mvskoke culture, integrity, as well as, compassion to protect all people.
- I DO solemnly pledge before my people to take full responsibility for myself and the women and children of Mvskoke Nation.
- I WILL love them, protect them, serve them and teach them that violence does not belong in our communities and is not our tradition.
- I WILL stand up against domestic and sexual violence and RESPECT each person’s individuality.
- I WILL embrace and educate those I know who commit domestic and sexual violence in an effort to stop their abuse.
- I WILL work courageously and honorably to fulfill this PLEDGE for the rest of my life.
- To serve as a strong, unified group to increase public awareness and combat domestic and sexual violence.
- To provide leadership as positive role models for men and women of all ages.
- To provide education and training on the impact of domestic and sexual violence and promote healthy and safe relationships.
- To engage in community activities to further the goals of the group.
The Warriors Honor Women group generally meets monthly to provide opportunities for education, awareness and discussion regarding the role of men in addressing, responding to, and preventing domestic and sexual violence.
For more information, please feel free to contact the FVPP at 918-732-7979, and/or the WHW Chair Person, Monte Randall at firstname.lastname@example.org .