Provides assistance with shelter and utility cost to Muscogee (Creek) citizens who have experienced an unanticipated break in income and/or other extenuating circumstances. This program provides counsel, advocacy, referrals, and promotes self-sufficiency and financial stability. Assistance is up to $500 per year. Payment goes directly to utility or landlord/mortgage company. Guidelines apply.
BREAK IN INCOME:
Lay off, reduction in hours, medical issues which has caused the applicant to miss work. Break must not be the applicant’s fault (quit, fired, etc.).
Death of a household member (must have contributed income), family emergency, separation/divorce, car repairs, medical expenses, homeless, relocation.
NOT CONSIDERED A BREAK OR EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCE:
Car maintenance, service charge for ac unit, homeless due to MCN Housing Rehab, child care expenses, school expenses, in prison needing assistance, license reinstatement/renewal, attorney fees, court cost/fines, sharing a room/renting a room from a relative.
- The applicant/head of household must be an enrolled citizen of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation. CDIB cards will not be accepted.
An applicant who is not an enrolled citizen of a federally recognized tribe, but is the head of household, may apply on behalf of an enrolled Muscogee (Creek) citizen who is a minor child, dependent elder or incompetent person. Documentation must be provided to verify that the awarded funds under this program will be expended for said tribal citizen(s) benefit.
- A non-Indian parent applying on behalf of their Creek minor child must provide documentation that the child is in their custody (i.e. divorce decree).
- Grandparents or family members raising minor relatives must provide guardianship.
- Foster parents seeking assistance due to children placed in their home will not be eligible. They shall be referred to Children & Family Services (State or Tribal), TANF, etc.
- Applicant must have an unanticipated break in income, or other extenuating circumstance, not due to personal fault within the past 12 months, to cause the need for assistance.
- Applicant must have the ability to maintain expenses. (New move ins.)
- Applicant must meet requirements with the Non Duplication Clause.
BASIC REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION:
- Copy of citizenship card or printout from the MCN Citizenship Office for all household members. Driver license/ID or birth certification will be accepted for non-Indians.
- Copy of social security card for all household members.
- Income verification for household.
- Documentation of break/situation.
- Copy of bills requesting to be paid (rent/mortgage, utility).
- Additional information may be required, depending on situation.
APPLICANTS SHOULD NOT WAIT FOR THE DAY OF CUTOFF, EVICTION, ETC., TO REQUEST ASSISTANCE
DUPLICATION OF SERVICES:
The Social Services Department defines duplicate assistance as assistance previously provided to an applicant through the Social Services Department within the last 12 months.
Should an applicant not have paid their bill on their own within the last 6 months, he/she will be required to pay a portion towards their bill in order to receive assistance from the Social Services Department.
ABILITY TO MAINTAIN:
Applicants must provide income verification to prove they can continue shelter, utility, and other living expenses. Rent cannot be more than 30% of gross monthly income.
Once all required documentation has been received, the social worker has three days to complete the application.
MCN Social Services
6711 S. Yale Ave, Suite 106
Tulsa, OK 74136
Phone: (918) 549-2484
Fax: (918) 298-4197