BIA Burial Assistance
The BIA Burial Assistance Program is a federally funded program. It is an indigent burial assistance program based on available resources and need. This program provides assistance to families of a deceased citizen enrolled with a federally recognized tribe with funeral costs. Assistance up to $2,500 may be available and varies based on available resources and need including, but not limited to, insurance policies, burial policies, Individual Indian Monies (IIM) accounts, bank accounts, Social Security, VA benefits, etc. The deceased must have lived in the Muscogee (Creek) Nation service area. Payment is made directly to the funeral home. Reimbursements are not allowed.
The BIA Burial Program is subject to annual Congressional appropriations, pursuant to 25 C.F.R. §20.102 (c). Should funds become unavailable, applications will continue to be processed and payments will be made retroactive to the application date once funds become available. Additional information may be submitted for redetermination for eligibility.
THE APPLICATION WILL BE SENT TO THE RESPONSIBLE PARTY IF DECEASED MEETS ELIGIBILITY.
- Deceased must be an enrolled member with a Federally Recognized Tribe at the time of death.
- Deceased must have lived in the Muscogee (Creek) Nation service area six months prior to death.
- Deceased must meet income guidelines.
- Proof of death is verified in writing by the funeral home.
- Application must be made within 180 days from date of death. Original signature is required.
BASIC REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION:
- Copy of citizenship card for deceased or a printout from the deceased’s tribal Citizenship Office.
- Copy of social security card for deceased.
- Copy of signed burial contract.
- Resident verification for deceased. Mail must have been received and postmarked 30 days prior to death.
- Income verification/available resources include, but not limited to, check stubs, insurance policies, burial policies, Individual Indian Monies (IIM) accounts, bank accounts, Social Security, VA benefits, etc.
- Copy of death certificate. (May take more than 30 days to receive.)
- Additional information may be required to determine eligibility.
Person(s) who signs the burial contract with the funeral home is considered the responsible party and must sign the application with the Social Services Office. Must have original signature.
RESPONSIBLE PARTY MUST APPLY WITHIN 180 DAYS FROM DATE OF DEATH.
THIS PROGRAM HELPS ALLEVIATE FUNERAL COSTS. IN MOST CASES, PAYMENTS WILL NOT PAY THE BALANCE OFF.
MCN Social Services
6711 S. Yale Ave, Suite 106
Tulsa, OK 74136
Phone: (918) 549-2484
Fax: (918) 298-4197